Making the best in a bad situation…
It’s not often that you find yourself in the kitchen, in the midst of creating something delicious to munch on, and suddenly the skies open. Not just outside. Inside, too.
I was baking these muffins over the weekend when it started raining REALLY hard outside (I’m told a wave rushed down the street a block away and there have been reports of flash flooding and water damage everywhere) and suddenly there was a stream of water gushing onto my head. Water and ceiling. It was awesome.
But these muffins were really tasty. So, I guess I should get all Pollyanna on you all and say there’s always a silver lining or something.
Seriously, though, these muffins were delicious. And they baked up into the most perfect browned spongy domes! Very pleasing!
Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 1 c white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Prep muffin tin with nonstick spray or muffin cups.
- Mash the bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer (a potato masher works well, or you can simply mix them on high speed).
- Add the vanilla, almond extract, vegetable oil and egg. Mix until well blended.
- Add the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda and mix until incorporated.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Drop batter into muffin cups by the spoonful (the cups should be about 2/3 full).
- Bake until muffins are browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.